Friday, November 12, 2010

Toonami: This Is A Dedication



A dedication to that which contributed to my fascination with robots, dark crusaders, super powered aliens that defend the earth, and space outlaws.

A dedication to what allowed me to discover life in a digital mainframe, samurai's that are not what they seem, and...last but not least, Gorillaz and Daft Punk.

Just a tiny girl, donned in a baggy pair of JNCO jeans and a red polo shirt, stepping quickly down the bus steps. Her eyes watching for the signal to cross the street. As soon as the bus driver nods and waves her hands, she makes a mad dash to the front door, busts in, throws down her backpack in front of the entertainment center, and quickly turns on the tv to flip to Cartoon Network.

And so began...the best 3 hour block to ever exist.

My life had changed. I was slowly immersing myself into what other girls wouldn't usually be enlightened by. A block that started off with Moltar disrupting the usual programming to give us Toonami. And just when you thought it was good, Toonami changed after a successful two year run. Enter Absolution. A ship that was best used for broadcasting Toonami. Of course, the Absolution was not without it's host and pilot. TOM took over Moltar's job. A chubby robot who evolved over time and was the epitome of cool. Along with his AI partner, SARA, TOM made sure that the block was running smooth and delivering the best shows. Every day, something new. Every year, a new show. It was nothing but amazing. I loved it all. I couldn't wait every time the last hour of school rolled around. I wanted to get to my babysitters ASAP. I didn't want to miss the next episode. It was even better in the late hours. Not only could I catch my block after school, but after "going to bed", I was watching Toonami past 11pm. It was my night light. Just set the TV timer, and see if I could stay up long enough through Big O.


Robotech, Dragon Ball series, Gundam series, ReBoot, Ronin Warriors, Tenchi series, Batman, Outlaw Star, Big O, Zoids, .hack//SIGN, Neon Genesis Evnagelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Star Wars: Clone Wars (Shorts were so bad ass!). These were all shows I absolutely loved and remember watching.

Not only was Toonami my choice addiction when it came to t.v, it also drew its crowd in for interactive games and the cherished TIEs. The TIE's (Total Immersion Events) were what gave us a glimpse of who or what TOM and SARA were. It was up to the audience to decide on TOM's fate at one point, and help defend the ship against The Intruder. The games were fun. It felt like a child's version of a dark, horror story. Sure, that doesn't make sense to some. But others would remember. Others who were lucky to know what Toonami was can probably remember TOM's final cry out before he died.

One of my other favorite memories of Toonami was it's one-time air of Daft Punk and Gorillaz. I was sitting in the living room with my best friend and my somewhat inebriated father just mesmerized. Sure it was only two music videos from them, but I was immediately hooked. I had to go out and buy both albums. Interstella 5555 and Gorillaz are still my preferred choice of music to listen to.

There was much that I missed after growing up and finally not in need of a babysitter. Toonami was my only form of entertainment. That and A Sega Genesis with Sonic 2. Yes. I did indeed spend quality time with the blue hedgehog...enough time to beat the game 8 times. I shit you not. My babysitter remembered each time I ran in and said "I beat Sonic!" or "I beat Sonic again!" Years passed, and I was allowed to stay home by myself. Toonami became a side dish. My main dish were my video games and computer. It faded away as I developed more into who you now know as Femmefatality. It saddens me that I missed the final airing. It hurts even more knowing they killed off the best thing to come to American television for kids. Cartoon Network's policy of "Get rid of Anime programs" was the death of Toonami. A stab in the heart.



I searched online for some way to remember my childhood. As I did, I conversed with my boyfriend that if it was possible, I would collect every show that I loved and all the Toonami promos on a hard drive. It would be what our kids could watch while doing homework. I want them to experience what I was privileged to. When I thought it to be impossible and I would have to turn to the expensive way of doing it, a good friend of mines heard me out.

Toonamiaftermath.com

Not a day goes by when I'm not on that site. Remembering the good days.

This was my dedication to you Toonami. Stay golden.

2 comments:

  1. Come back to us Tom....we miss you :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 26th, 2012
      For those who believed, our time has come.
      Toonami returns on Adult Swim.

      Delete